These Orange Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cookies are easy to make and the flavor combination is delicious! This quick and easy recipe is ideal any time of year and provides nice variety for a Christmas Cookie tray of cookie exchange.
Note: you will need two oranges for this recipe. I have separated the out in this list for the cookies/icing.
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3 Tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
Zest from one orange
1 container ricotta cheese, 15 oz.
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup mini chocolate chips
2 cups powdered sugar (more if needed)
3 to 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (more if needed)
Zest from one orange
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or bowl from stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in ricotta cheese, vanilla, orange juice and orange zest. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Add in flour mixture, in three additions stirring until well-combined, but do not over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a small cookie scoop, or tablespoon and drop dough two inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 13 to 15 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer baked cookies to wire cooling racks.
- Make the icing: Combine powdered sugar, orange juice and orange zest in small mixing bowl. You may need to add a little more lemon juice or powdered sugar to reach the desired consistency. Stir in ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract to taste.
- Turn the cookies upside down, one at a time, and dip them right into the icing. Allow the icing to drip for a moment, then twist and turn the cookie upright.
- Place on wire rack with plastic wrap underneath for easy cleanup.
- The icing will take about 45 minutes to an hour to dry completely.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 10.9 g
- Sodium: 27.8 mg
- Fat: 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 16.4 mg
Keywords: Orange Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cookies