Buttery, flaky and bursting with flavour these scones can be made in less than 30 minutes.
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter cubed
1 cup blueberries
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Zest lemon and set aside.
2. Slice the lemon in half. Juice lemon and set aside the juice.
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and lemon zest.
4. Using pastry blender (or by hand) cut in butter until mxture is crumbly.
5. Add buttermilk and stir with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough.
6. Lightly flour hands and press dough into a ball.
7. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10 times.
8. Carefully, fold in the blueberries.
9. Press dough until it is 1" thick. (don't worry about the shape here)
10. Using a 2-1/2 inch cutter, cut out rounds.
11. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
12. Scraps can be gathered up and repeated to cut out more rounds.
13. Brush tops of scones with beaten egg mixture.
14. Bake in 425°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
15. For lemon glaze, mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 1-1/2 tsp lemon zest. Add more lemon juice until desired consistency. Drizzle over top of scones.
- Buttermilk substitute - For 1 cup of buttermilk, put 1 tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar into measuring cup. Add enough liquid to fill to the 1 cup measuring line. Stir. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- I like to use a larger circle cutter sometimes and yield 9 scones.
- Storage instructions: Store cooled scones in a covered container at room temperature.
- Freezing instructions: Cooled scones can be frozen in freezer-safe container for up to two months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 126.6 mg
- Fat: 8.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 38.1 mg
Keywords: Lemon Blueberry Scones