1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter
Sanding sugar in Halloween colors
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, cornstarch and powdered sugar. If you don’t have a sifter, place the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and give it a really good whisk or mix with wooden spoon.
- Using a wooden spoon, or with clean hands, blend in the butter until a soft dough forms. Do not overwork the dough. As soon as the dough forms, shape it into a ball.
- Shape dough into one inch balls and place a few inches apart on baking sheet. They will spread a little as you flatten them with a fork.
- Press down lightly on each cookie with a floured fork. Sprinkle with sanding sugar or sprinkles. I have really been enjoying Ann Clark’s sanding sugar. It is very light and has a beautiful sparkle.
- Bake in 300°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. I took my cookies out in 17 minutes and let them sit on the cookie sheet for two minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and that was perfect.
Storage: Store shortbread in an airtight container for 7 to 10 days. Using parchment paper to separate the shortbread cookies layers is a good thing to do for easy serving.
Freezing: Cooled shortbread cookies may be frozen between layers or parchment paper in a freezer-safe container for 2 to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge when ready to use. Place thawed cookie dough balls on cookie sheet and press down with a fork, adding the sanding sugar and bake.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: halloween shortbread