This Crumb Cake Recipe has a perfect moist and buttery, brown sugar topping. The crumble topping is so soft it melts in your mouth. It is this sweet, thick and rich buttery streusel topping that we love so much when you bite into a crumb cake, which leaves you wanting more!
8 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg plus 1 yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare an 8-inch square baking pan by lining it with parchment paper, leaving 1 ½ to 2 inches on either side to make a sling, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- For the crumb topping, whisk together the two sugars, cinnamon and salt until thoroughly combined. Stir in melted butter until combined.
- Add flour and stir until combined and no streaks of flour remain.
- Set aside the crumb topping.
- To make the cake, in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
- With the mixer running on low add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time, continue to mix until no large chunks of butter remain, and mixture resembles coarse crumbs, 1-2 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, egg, yolk, and vanilla extract, mix on medium speed until light, about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with a spoon or offset spatula.
- To add the crumb topping, break the topping into pea sized chunks and spread evenly on top of the batter, careful not to press down into the batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Carefully lift cake from pan by lifting it on either side of the parchment sling and return to cooling rack to finish cooling. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Store your leftover crumb cake at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze crumb cake? Yes you can! Wrap tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap or in a single layer of plastic wrap in a freezer-safe container for 1 to 2 months.
Thaw at room temperature and dust with powdered sugar on the top before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Crumb Cake, Crumb Cake Recipe, New York-Style Crumb Cake