These easy-to-make Easter meringue nests are a delicious treat that everyone will love. With a sweetened cream cheese filling and a light and airy texture, these meringues are the perfect addition to your holiday dessert table.
1 cup white sugar
3 egg whites
1/3 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup whipping cream
4 tbsp powdered sugar
1 piece of chocolate
30–36 mini chocolate eggs
- Preheat the oven to 175°F. Pour cream of tartar into a large bowl and egg egg whites.
- Using the whisk attachment from a stand mixer or electric mixer, whisk until a light foam appears on the surface.
- Whisk slow and steady. Start slow, then gradually increase speed and do not over beat as you slowly add the sugar once the foam appears. Add the sugar in a steady stream, one tablespoon at a time and beat on high speed.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip (open or closed).
- Pipe the meringue onto a silicone mat or parchment lined baking sheet. To pipe the meringe nests: First pipe a circle for the bottom of the nest, then pipe a ring on top of the circle to shape the sides of the nest.
- Place baking sheet in oven and dry the meringue at 175°F for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Do not open oven door during the first hour. After one hour, you can check the readiness of the meringue by lightly pressing the meringue with your finger. If the meringue is soft and bouncy, continue drying for another 30 to 60 minutes. The drying time will depend on the thickness of the sides and the diameter.
- When the meringue has dried, remove from oven and cool on baking sheet.
- While the meringue is cooking, make the cream cheese filling. Use a separate bowl.In a large bowl, combine softened cream cheese, whipping cream, vanilla paste and powdered sugar.
- Beat with mixer on medium-high speed until you get a fluffy thick cream. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with. a star tip.
- Pipe cream cheese filling into the center of each meringue nest.
- Decorate the nests: Place three mini eggs in the center of the meringue nest. Sprinle with grated chocolate.
Storage instructions: Store the meringue in a dry place to that it does not become sticky. Humidity can affect the texture of meringues and due to the cream cheese in the filling, the meringues should be refrigerated for up to one day.
This Easter dessert is best eaten on the same day.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Category: Easter Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easter meringue nests, meringue