Rich in almond flavour, these shortbread-like bars will satisfy your sweet tooth. Ready in under an hour with basic ingredients.
2/3 cup butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. almond extract
1 large egg, beaten
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. milk
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. In large bowl, or bowl in stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Add almond extract. Stir just to mix.
3. In small bowl, beat one of the eggs.
4. Blend egg into butter mixture. Beat for 30 seconds.
5. In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
6. Gradually add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture.
7. Mix by hand or with wooden spoon until smooth. (easier to mix by hand)
8. Press dough into a greased 8-inch square baking pan.
1. In small mixing bowl, beat egg with milk until well mixed.
2. Using pastry brush, brush over dough.
3. Sprinkle almonds over top.
4. Bake in 350F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. (edges should be just starting to brown)
Sliced almonds - you can use wither blanched sliced almonds or toasted almonds (brown edges).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 13.9 g
- Sodium: 14.3 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.8 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 43.7 mg
Keywords: Dutch Almond Bars, Boterkoek