Red potatoes, crunchy celery, onions and pickles in a creamy dressing blend together beautifully for this classic creamy potato salad recipe. It is sure to become a favourite for your next picnic or backyard bbq.
2 lbs. red potatoes
1 tbsp. salt (for cooking potatoes)
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp. sour cream
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 tbsp. chopped red onion
One half of a red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped dill or bread and butter pickles
4 hard-boiled eggs, diced
1/8 tsp, paprika for garnish
1/4 cup chopped green onion or chives for garnish
1. Cut potatoes in half and in a large pot of boiling water, bring slowly to a boil. Simmer potatoes gently, just until tender when tested with a sharp knife - about 15 minutes.
2. Reserve 3 tbsp. of the potato water and then drain potatoes.
3. Mix potato water with 2 tbsp. of red wine vinegar then pour over potatoes along with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper. (This will stop the potatoes from becoming discoloured). Set potatoes aside to cool.
4. In a heavy saucepan, bring water to a full boil, then gently slip in the eggs one at a time. Reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Turn off heat. Let the eggs sit in the water for another two minutes, then drain. Run under cold water and set aside to cool.
5. Chop celery, red onion, red bell pepper, diced dill (or bread and butter) pickles. Add in pickle juice.
6. Cut the cooled potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
7. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lemon zest, sour cream, powdered mustard, celery seed, dried thyme & brown sugar. Stir well to combine.
8. Peel the eggs and dice.
9. Take 2 cups of the chopped potatoes and mash them with a fork, then toss the back into the potatoes. This acts as a good binder for the salad.
10. Add the vegetable mixtures, chopped eggs and dressing to the potatoes. Fold in gently until well mixed. (you can use your hands at this point to be more gentle. Effective, but a little messy)
11. Cover and chill one hour before serving.
Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Garnish with sprinkled paprika and chopped green onions or chopped chives.
Potato skins - if you prefer your potato salad with skins, leave them on during cooking and peel them after they are cooked. This ensure that you receive the full nutrients from the potato and stops the from crumbling as they cook.
Vegetables can easily be substituted however onions, whether red, sweet or yellow do add a lot of flavour to the salad. Shredded or chopped carrots are a great addition.
Bacon - add in 1/2 cup of cooked, chopped bacon for additional flavour.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1115 mg
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.7 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 106.1 mg
Keywords: Creamy Potato Salad