1. Cut potatoes in half and in a large pot of boiling water, bring slowly to a boil. Simmer potatoes gently, just until tender when tested with a sharp knife - about 15 minutes.
2. Reserve 3 tbsp. of the potato water and then drain potatoes.
3. Mix potato water with 2 tbsp. of red wine vinegar then pour over potatoes along with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper. (This will stop the potatoes from becoming discoloured). Set potatoes aside to cool.
4. In a heavy saucepan, bring water to a full boil, then gently slip in the eggs one at a time. Reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Turn off heat. Let the eggs sit in the water for another two minutes, then drain. Run under cold water and set aside to cool.
5. Chop celery, red onion, red bell pepper, diced dill (or bread and butter) pickles. Add in pickle juice.
6. Cut the cooled potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
7. In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lemon zest, sour cream, powdered mustard, celery seed, dried thyme & brown sugar. Stir well to combine.
8. Peel the eggs and dice.
9. Take 2 cups of the chopped potatoes and mash them with a fork, then toss the back into the potatoes. This acts as a good binder for the salad.
10. Add the vegetable mixtures, chopped eggs and dressing to the potatoes. Fold in gently until well mixed. (you can use your hands at this point to be more gentle. Effective, but a little messy)
11. Cover and chill one hour before serving.
Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Garnish with sprinkled paprika and chopped green onions or chopped chives.