These 1-inch square Christmas Shortbread Bites are fun and easy to make. These mini cookies melt in your mouth and will have you coming back for more! You can enjoy them plain with fun Christmas sprinkles or with a light glaze. The perfect addition to a plate of Christmas cookies, if they last that long!
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 to 2 Tablespoons sprinkles or non pareils
1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 to 2 Tablespoons of milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. (I fit 56 on one cookie sheet).
- In a large mixing bowl, soft together all purpose flour, cornstarch and powdered sugar.
- Use a wooden spoon, or clean hands to blend in the butter and almond extract until a soft, crumbly dough forms.
- Stir in the sprinkles and gather dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, or on parchment paper, roll out dough into a rectangle approximately 3/4″ to 1 ” thick. The shape does not have to be perfect. You can trim the edges with a pizza cutter and re-roll the scraps of dough.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into 1″ wide strips. Carefully move the strips, one at a time off to the side and cut each strip into 1-inch square. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet and add a few more sprinkles, if desired. Reroll any scraps and cut into squares and transfer to cookie sheet.
- Bake in 325°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet and drizzle with glaze if desired.
- Glaze: In a small mixing bowl, mix together powdered sugar, milk and almond extract, until desired consistency is reached for drizzling over cookies. You may need to add a little more powdered sugar or milk. You can drizzle with a fork or place glaze in decroator bag with small piping dip.
Store cookies in airtight container for up to five days or in refrigerator to up to seven days. These cookies freeze well in an airtight container for up to two months. Thaw completely before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Christmas Shortbread bites, holiday shortbread cookie bites