Sweet butterscotch flavour with a rich cream cheese frosting, these Brownie Blondies are easy to make and freeze well if you want to enjoy them later.
1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
2 and 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
250g cream cheese, softened at room temperature (half package)
1 tablespoon butter, softened at room temperature
1 and 1/4 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F .
- Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a parchment overhang so that you can easily remove the bars from the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, or bowl from a stand mixer at medium speed, beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine all-purpose flour and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, in three additions, mixing on low speed of mixer just until combined, scraping down sides with a rubber spatula.
- Scrape the brownie batter into prepared pan and use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake in 325°F oven for 35 minutes. Test with cake tester. The middle will still be a little soft but not jiggly.
- Place on wire rack and cool for at least 30 minutes before frosting.
- For icing: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with softened butter until smooth.
- Add brown sugar and powdered sugar, beating on low speed until the powdered sugar is mixed in. Turn up the mixer speed to medium and mix until smooth.
- Spread icing over blondies. Lift the blondies out of the baking dish, using the parchment paper overhang for leverage.
- Allow the icing to set for about 20 minutes before cutting.
- Place the blondies on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
- Storage instructions: Store brownies in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Freezing instructions: Place the brownies in an airtight container and freeze for up to two months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 large brownie
- Calories: 404
- Sugar: 38.9 g
- Sodium: 113.8 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.6 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 4.7 g
- Cholesterol: 94.7 mg
Keywords: Blondie Brownies