1. In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter.
2. Cook onion over medium heat for five minutes, stirring constantly. You want the onion soft, but not browned.
3. Add cabbage and stir well.
4. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. Add chopped apples, cider vinegar, brown sugar, raisins (if using), salt and pepper. Stir well and cover.
6. Cook covered for 15 minutes over low-medium heat. Test after 15 minutes; the cabbage should be tender but not mushy. If mixture is sticking, add 1 tsp. cider vinegar into 1/2 cup water and mix well, then continue to cook a few minutes longer until cabbage is soft.
Makes 6 servings.