These wholesome Bakery Style Morning Glory Muffins are delicious any time of the day! Loaded with carrots and apples, there are so many variations that you can make to this recipe to suit your taste and what you have in the pantry.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. orange zest (optional)
2 cups peeled, grated carrots
1 large apple, peeled and grated
1/2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes to plump and soften them
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease six jumbo muffin tins (or 12 smaller ones). Grease the top as well so that the muffin tops do not stick to the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl, beat eggs.
- Add in vegetable oil, brown sugar, orange zest (optional) and vanilla.
- Stir in the carrots, apples, raisins and sunflower seeds and stir until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir only to combine. It's important not to over mix the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 6 prepared muffin tins. They will be quite full and that is okay!
- If you like, sprinkle the tops with a few sunflower seeds or whatever nuts you are using. The mix in the photos is combination of pumpkin seeds, sunflowers and flax seed.
- Bake in 425°F oven for 5 minutes.
- Without opening the door, reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake another 18-22 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Optional add-ins and substitutions. 1 tablespoon of orange zest adds a nice burst of orange flavour.
- Substitute pumpkin seeds, chopped walnuts or pecans for the sunflower seeds.
- Substitute golden raisins or dried (or fresh!) cranberries for the dark raisins.
- Apples: you can use any variety of apples for this recipe. I used a mix for the ones in the photos.
- Add in 1/2 cup of flaked, sweetened coconut for flavour and texture.
- Storage instructions: Store cooled muffins covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days. Alternatively, you can store in the refrigerator, cooled and covered for up to 1 week.
- Freezing instructions: Wrap cooled muffin individually in plastic wrap, then foil and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Muffins can be warmed up in the microwave on low power.
- Soaking the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes will plump them up in the muffins. This is optional.
- The recipe and nutritional information is for 6 jumbo, bakery style muffins. These muffins can be made in a regular sized 12-muffin tin. Reduce baking time to approximately 15 minutes after the initial 5 minute bake at 425°F.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 jumbo muffin
- Calories: 558
- Sugar: 50 g
- Sodium: 275.2 mg
- Fat: 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 90.7 g
- Fiber: 6.7 g
- Protein: 10.2 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg
Keywords: Bakery Style Morning Glory Muffins