1. In a food processor, blend oatmeal until it is a fine powder similar to flour.
2. Grate 1/2 cup milk or dark chocolate. Set aside.
3. Cream butter, sugar and brown sugar together on high speed of electric or stand mixer.
2. Blend in eggs, then vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, blended oatmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, blending at low speed.
5. Add chocolate chips, grated chocolate and nuts (if using).
6. Roll into 2 inch balls and press down gently in hands to flatten before placing on cookie sheet.
7. Bake in 375F oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cookies will be soft in the centre.
Makes 36 medium-sized cookies