Fill these little shortcakes with berries as they come into season. Soft, yet crunchy, top these biscuits with sweetened whipped cream for a tasty treat.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tablesppons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons milk (for glaze)
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon icing sugar
6 cups strawberries
Hull (cut the tops off) and rinse fresh strawberries. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. of white sugar and set in the fridge.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. Cut in cubed butter by hand or with pastry blender until fine crumbs.
3. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and milk.
4. Add to flour mixture, pouring it in all at once.
5. Stir with a fork until you can form a soft, sticky ball.
6. With lightly floured hands, gather up the dough and set it onto a lightly floured surface.
7. With a rolling pin (or pat out by hand) roll dough into a circle about 1 inch thick.
8. Using 3-inch cookie cutter, cut into 6 rounds. You will have to re-roll the scraps once.
9. Place on baking sheet and brush tops with milk.
10. Bake in 425°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
11. To serve, cut biscuit in half and spoon strawberries over the bottom half, followed by whipped cream. Top with other half of the strawberries and spoon additional strawberries and whipped cream over top.
In a mixing bowl, combine whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla. Mix on medium-high speed of mixer until medium peaks form. (approx 2- 2 and 1/2 minutes)
Optional: Sprinkle with powdered icing sugar for garnish and sprig of mint leaf.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 233 mg
- Fat: 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 17.3 g
- Trans Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.4 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 7.2 g
- Cholesterol: 77.9 mg
Keywords: Strawberry Shortcake