Orange juice, brown sugar butter and ginger coat these carrots as they roast to perfection in the oven
2 lb. carrots, chopped into 1/2 thick pieces on diagonal
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. orange juice (bottled or fresh squeezed)
2 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely (optional)
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. dried thyme or 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
1/4 tsp. ground ginger (or substitute 1 - 2 tbsp. fresh chopped ginger)
1. Slice carrots on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick pieces and set aside.
2. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
3. Add garlic, orange juice, brown sugar, ground ginger and dried thyme. (if using fresh thyme, wait and stir into carrots after roasting is complete and before serving) Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
4. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
5. Lightly coat a baking sheet with melted butter or olive oil. A VERY think coating just enough so that the carrots don't stick.
6. Pour carrot mixture onto baking sheet and spread apart making an even layer.
7. Bake in 425F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until desired tenderness is reached. Turn over twice during roasting.
8. Remove from oven and serve immediately. If using fresh thyme, sprinkle with fresh thyme.
Leftovers can be store in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days and reheated in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 106
- Sugar: 9.1 g
- Sodium: 105.5 mg
- Fat: 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: Roasted Carrots with Thyme