Fresh rhubarb, mellow orange flavour and a brown sugar topping make this Rhubarb Loaf with Brown Sugar Topping is the ideal summertime recipe and the perfect way to use up all of that rhubarb!
Enjoy this easy quick bread as rhubarb comes into season, or use frozen rhubarb from last year's haul!
If you still have a lot of extra rhubarb, you could chop some up and add it into these Strawberry Muffins. You would omit the chocolate chips and have yourself a strawberry rhubarb muffin!
YOU'LL LOVE THIS
- an abundance of rhubarb in your garden? This moist rhubarb bread is just the answer. A easy quick bread that freezes well!
- no mixer needed - this recipe can be mixed completely by hand.
- ready in 1 hour!
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- You can use fresh or frozen rhubarb in this recipe. If using frozen, add it directly to the batter frozen. There's no need to thaw it first.
- This recipe calls for orange juice. Use fresh squeezed or bottled juice.
- Egg should be at room temperature. Take it out of the refrigerator about a half hour before baking.
HOW TO PREPARE RHUBARB
Start by cutting off the leaves and discarding them immediately. They are toxic and cannot be eaten.
Rinse the stalks under cold, running water. Trim off any blemishes. Chop the rhubarb and set aside for the recipe.
HOW TO FREEZE RHUBARB
If you've got a lot of rhubarb in the garden or got carried away at the grocery store, you can freeze it in zippered bags. Simply place chopped rhubarb on a baking sheet in the freezer spread out in a single layer. Once frozen (approximately one hour) place them in the zippered bags.
You can add frozen rhubarb directly to your baking recipes without having to thaw it first.
Cut the leaves off the rhubarb and discard immediately.
Rinse, then chop the rhubarb into ½-inch pieces.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add in the chopped rhubarb and stir to combine.
In a small mixing bowl, beat egg. Add melted butter and orange juice and stir to combine.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix using as few strokes as possible until combined.
Turn into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake in 350°F oven for 50 to 60 minutes until tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
Cool in pan for ten minutes, then turn out on to wire cooling rack.
Cool before slicing.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Wrap cooled Rhubarb Loaf in plastic wrap, or place in storage container for up to three days.
Rhubarb Loaf freezes very well! Cool completely, then place in storage container lined with parchment paper.
VARIATIONS AND ADD-INS
- add in ½ cup chopped walnuts
- add ½ cup diced strawberries. Strawberry and rhubarb is a delicious combination!