Chopped spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, currants and avocado combine with quinoa, and are tossed in a light lemon juice and olive oil dressing for this delicious Quinoa Spinach Salad with Avocado.
YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- it's loaded with fresh veggies
- an easy recipe with no fancy equipment needed
- basic ingredients and so many substitutions you could make to suit your tastes
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- red onions are recommended in this recipe, or you can use chopped sweet onions
- you can use any type of tomatoes in this recipe. Try the vine tomatoes or the small grape tomatoes chopped in half
- dried currants are delicious in this recipe or you could substitute golden raisins. They definitely add a lot of flavour to this salad!
Cook the quinoa
Place quinoa in a sieve and rinse well then drain. Combine 1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or until water has been absorbed. Once cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside and prepare vegetables and dressing.
Prep the Vegetables
Spinach - fresh spinach is best for this recipe. I like to use my small Kitchen Aid food chopped. Alternatively, you can chop by hand finely as in photo below.
Tomatoes - Use a medium tomato and chop into cubes. You will notice in the photo I added some yellow cherry tomatoes from my potager garden that have recently ripened!
Currants - dried currants moisten up in the dressing and tomato juices and turn into plump and tasty additions to the salad. You may also substitute raisins or dried cranberries for the currants.
Red Onions - chopped red onions add both flavour and colour to this salad. You may substitute or combine finely chopped green onions.
Avocado - chop the avocado into bite-sized pieces.
Garlic - I like to add one clove of minced garlic but this can be omitted if you prefer to not have garlic.
Make the Dressing
This dressing has simple ingredients. Mix together fresh squeezed lemon juice (not the store-bought bottle) and extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Next, combine all of the ingredients together and stir well to combine.
Other salad recipes you will want to try
Summertime is the perfect time for making salads as the fresh produce is in season. You might also like these salad recipes:Print