These Pumpkin Spice Banana Muffins have a crunchy streusel topping with banana bread and pumpkin muffin flavours rolled into one delicious muffin!
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup melted butter, cooled
1/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. cold butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease six jumbo muffin tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir well to combine.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, pumpkin purée, granulated sugar, brown sugar, beaten egg and melted butter. Stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Divide batter evenly among six jumbo muffin cups.
- Streusel topping: Combine brown sugar, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, cold butter and pecans in small bowl. Mix with clean hands or with wooden spoon until well combined.
- Sprinkle streusel mixture over the tops of each muffin.
- Bake in 425°F oven for 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake for the additional 14 to 16 minutes, testing with a toothpick for doneness. (Do not open the oven door when you reduce the temperature)!
- Cool for one minute in muffin tin, then transfer to wire cooling rack.
- Variations: add in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips
- Add in 1/2 cup of raisins or dried cranberries
- Substitute pecans for walnuts
- Add in 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice for even more traditional pumpkin pie flavour
- You can omit the streusel topping and make a glaze using 1 cup of powdered sugar with enough maple syrup until it's a consistency that can be drizzle over the muffins.
- Storage instructions: Store cooled muffins in airtight container for up to three days.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze cooled muffins in freezer-safe container or ziplock bags for up to one month.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: one muffin
- Calories: 536
- Sugar: 39 g
- Sodium: 435.9 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 75.3 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
Keywords: Pumpkin Banana Muffins