These Pumpkin Spice Banana Muffins have a crunchy streusel topping with banana bread and pumpkin muffin flavours rolled into one delicious muffin! Soft, moist and fluffy, you'll love this easy bakery-style muffin recipe!
Is it possible to have too. much pumpkin in the fall? I don't think so! We are loving the fall flavours this year.
The weather is cooler, the beautiful fall colours are surrounding us and the smell of these pumpkin banana muffins is amazing!
I made up a batch of these pumpkin cookies the other day and that just sent us into a fall frenzy! Next on the list is a batch of this pumpkin biscotti.
why you'll love this recipe!
- no fancy mixer needed for this recipe! You can mix it entirely by hand using a wooden spoon.
- this recipe combines the sweetness and moisture of banana bread with the delicious flavour of pumpkin, making it the perfect fall breakfast snack.
- quick and easy recipe that's ready in 30 minutes from start to finish!
ingredients & substitutions
For a full list of ingredients, see the recipe card at the bottom of the page. The following is a few notes about specific ingredients:
- pumpkin purée - you can use canned pumpkin purée or make your own homemade pumpkin purée. Pumpkin pie filling is not the same thing and should not be used in this recipe.
- cinnamon - these muffins are lightly spiced with cinnamon. Alternatively, you can add in one teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice for even more pumpkin pie flavour!
- pecans- we used pecans in these muffins. You can also use chopped walnuts.
- ripe bananas - bananas should be overripe with browning on the skin. You can often find them in the discounted section in the grocery store at a perfect stage for making muffins!
- all-purpose flour - you can also substitute half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour.
add-ins and variations
- add in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips
- add in ½ cup of raisins or dried cranberries
- substitute pecans for walnuts
- add in 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice for even more traditional pumpkin pie flavour
- you can omit the streusel topping and make a glaze using 1 cup of powdered sugar with enough maple syrup until it's a consistency that can be drizzle over the muffins.
- please comment below and let me know about any other variations that you've made or special add-ins for this recipe!
Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease six jumbo muffin tins. You can also use 12 of the regular-sized muffin tins.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. If you're adding in pumpkin pie spice, add it in here as well.
In a separate bowl, combine the beaten egg, both sugars, canned pumpkin, mashed bananas, melted butter and vanilla.
Stir mixture until combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with the chopped pecans. Stir just until combined, being careful not to over mix the batter.
Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin tins. Now you're ready to make the delicious streusel topping.
Cold butter, straight from the fridge is the key to. making this tasty topping! Combine all streusel ingredients in small bowl and mix until well combined.
I like to mix it using clean hands or you can use a spoon.
I like to mix the pecans right in with the streusel. This way, they get coated with the delicious sugary, crunchy coating.
Sprinkle the streusel on top of the muffin batter.
Bake in 425°F oven for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350°F and do not open the oven door! Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Test for doneness using a toothpick. The toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the centre of the muffin.
Allow the muffins to cool for a minute in the muffin tin, then transfer to a cooling rack.
storage & freezing instructions
Store cooled muffins in airtight container for up to three days.
Freeze cooled muffins in freezer-safe container or ziplock bags for up to one month.
you might also enjoy these recipes
I would love it if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the community and receive regular updates straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest!Print
Pumpkin Spice Banana Muffins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6
These Pumpkin Spice Banana Muffins have a crunchy streusel topping with banana bread and pumpkin muffin flavours rolled into one delicious muffin!
1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
¾ cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
⅓ cup melted butter, cooled
¼ cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
⅓ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
⅛ tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. cold butter
½ cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease six jumbo muffin tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir well to combine.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, pumpkin purée, granulated sugar, brown sugar, beaten egg and melted butter. Stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Divide batter evenly among six jumbo muffin cups.
- Streusel topping: Combine brown sugar, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, cold butter and pecans in small bowl. Mix with clean hands or with wooden spoon until well combined.
- Sprinkle streusel mixture over the tops of each muffin.
- Bake in 425°F oven for 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake for the additional 14 to 16 minutes, testing with a toothpick for doneness. (Do not open the oven door when you reduce the temperature)!
- Cool for one minute in muffin tin, then transfer to wire cooling rack.
- Variations: add in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips
- Add in ½ cup of raisins or dried cranberries
- Substitute pecans for walnuts
- Add in 1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice for even more traditional pumpkin pie flavour
- You can omit the streusel topping and make a glaze using 1 cup of powdered sugar with enough maple syrup until it's a consistency that can be drizzle over the muffins.
- Storage instructions: Store cooled muffins in airtight container for up to three days.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze cooled muffins in freezer-safe container or ziplock bags for up to one month.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: one muffin
- Calories: 536
- Sugar: 39 g
- Sodium: 435.9 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 75.3 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
Keywords: Pumpkin Banana Muffins
These came out soft, moist and fluffy. We love the streusel topping!
Delicious pumpkin spice banana muffin, enjoy the flavour combinations!!