A unique French toast recipe that is perfect for a special occasion. Vanilla and maple syrup are whisked into the milk and egg mixture, then the bread is dipped into the mixture and finely chopped pecans. The resulting texture is delicious, sweet, slightly crunchy breakfast that the whole family will enjoy!
I decided to call this "Perfect French Toast" because it is my personal favourite. It is a Mother's Day tradition to have my husband and twin boys make it for me on Mother's Day.
I love it because it is a unique French toast recipe that is easy to make and results in the best French toast you will every have! Well, that's my opinion 🙂 I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below should you try the recipe.
Why you will love this recipe
- this is an easy recipe that even a beginner can master on the first try
- this recipe uses basic ingredients with no fancy equipment required
Ingredients needed and notes
- Eggs - I used large-sized eggs in this recipe
- Bread - if you're using extra thick bread you will need to cook each side an extra minute or two longer
- Maple Syrup - real maple syrup is highly recommended
- Chopped pecans - chop the pecans finely as you only want a bit of crunch.
- Milk - I use 1% milk or you can use 2% or whole milk.
- Fresh fruit is optional and combines beautifully with the French toast.
- Powdered sugar - I sometimes like to sift a very small amount of icing sugar over the entire plated meal for a nice touch.
Steps for making this recipe and tips
- Start by whisking together the eggs, milk, vanilla, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Place the finely chopped pecans on a plate. This makes it easier to evenly coat the bread when dipping.
- Heat skillet and melt butter.
- Soak the bread into the egg mixture. Dip in in completely, then repeat.
- Immediately dip it into the chopped pecans.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side over medium-high heat.
How to serve French Toast
Our favourite way to enjoy French toast is to serve it with a good helping of maple syrup poured over top and sliced fresh fruit on top.