A sweet and crunchy streusel topping crowns the bottom cake layer that is moist with a delicate, light crumb. In between the two is a layer of beautiful, sweet and juicy peaches. The ideal cake to take to a large gathering or potluck. You will love how quickly this comes together.
1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 and 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 cup milk
3-4 large peaches, peeled and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Grease and flour 13- x 9-inch cake pan.
3. In a small bowl, combine walnuts, rolled oats, brown sugar and melted butter. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, or bowl from stand mixer, beat butter for 45 second on medium speed.
5. Slowly add in granulated sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
7. Add lemon rind and stir just to combine.
8. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
9. Add half of the flour mixture to the batter, mixing on low speed.
10. Add milk and beat on low speed.
11. Add remaining flour mixture and beat on low speed, just to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure it is well-mixed.
12. Drop cake batter into 13 x 9-inch cake pan. It will be easier to spread if you drop into each corner then a few in the middle and then spread the batter evenly over the entire dish.
13. Peel and pit peaches. Cut into thin slices, then set aside.
14. Place sliced peaches over cake batter in a single row, cutting smaller pieces to fit in the spaces if necessary.
15. Sprinkle streusel topping over top of peaches.
16. Bake in 375F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
17. Cool in pan on wire cooling rack for 15 minutes before serving.
18. Delicious served warm or cool.
Cake can be covered with wrap and stored a room temperature for 3 to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pieces
- Calories: 486
- Sugar: 21.5 g
- Sodium: 41.3 mg
- Fat: 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.9 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 78 mg
Keywords: Peach Coffee Cake