1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. (If you have no parchment paper, don't sweat it - you will just need a good spatula to carefully lift them fro the pan. I tried it and it worked fine. Parchment just makes it a little easier).
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. 4. Using the bowl from a stand mixer, or large mixing bowl with hand mixer, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. ( dark brown sugar is best as it will enhance the molasses flavours). Beat until light and fluffy.5. Add in two large eggs and beat until well-combined.6. With the mixer running on medium speed, gradually add in molasses.
7. Gradually add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix on low speed until well-combined.
8. Turn out onto a very lightly-floured board and add in the walnuts. Shape into a ball.
9. Divide the ball in half, then divide each half into two pieces. You will end up with four pieces.
10. Shape each ball into a log and lay across cookie sheets. (Two per sheet)
11. Sprinkle tops of the logs very lightly with granulated sugar. (optional)
12. Bake one cookie sheet at a time in 350 for 20-23 minutes. The log will be a little soft in the middle.
13. Cool on baking sheet for five minutes.
14. Carefully transfer one log to cutting board.Slice diagonally into one-inch pieces. Repeat with second log.
Combine 5 tbsp. of icing sugar with two tsp. of milk and 1/2 tsp. of vanilla. Add a little more milk or icing sugar until you reach desired consistency. Place in icing bag and drizzle over top of cookies.
Makes 36 to 40 cookies
Store in covered container for up to one week.