This Mushroom Frittata is a quick and easy recipe that is delicious for brunch or served with a side salad for dinner!
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
- quick and easy with basic ingredients that can be adapted to suit your favourite vegetable combination.
- the perfect recipe for brunch or dinner when served with a side salad
- this is one of my go-to brunch recipes. You can change up the type of cheese from Swiss to cheddar either mild, medium or old.
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
See the recipe card for full list of ingredients & instructions
- mushrooms - I like to use an assortment of white button mushrooms and cremini mushrooms. You can use your favourite type.
- red, green and yellow peppers - you can use one colour, or use them all! They are delicious in this frittata
- eggs - large eggs
- sour cream
- Swiss cheese - you can substitute cheddar, either mild, medium or old
- Panko bread crumbs - or your favourite type of bread crumbs
- green onions - substitute sweet onions or red onions
- fresh parsley
- dried or fresh thyme
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
In a skillet, melt 1 tbsp. of butter over medium-high heat.
Cook mushrooms and peppers stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. In this one, I used a mix of button mushrooms and cremini mushrooms along with yellow and orange peppers with green onions.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sour cream.
Whisk well until the sour cream is incorporated into the eggs.
Next, stir in the mushrooms, peppers, cheese, panko bread crumbs, onions, parsley, salt & pepper. (you will note in the pictures that the cheese is diced finely and not shredded. The grocery store only had sliced and it worked just fine).
Stir just until combined.
Pour into greased 10" pie plate or cast iron skillet. I like to give it a good sprinkle of freshly ground pepper on top.
Bake in 350°F for 35 minutes. Ensure that it is set in the middle and cooked through. Check it by poking a sharp knife into the middle of the frittata.
The frittata will be golden in colour and will be set with no jiggling when you move the dish back and forth.
A cast iron skillet will yield best results every time. Otherwise, you can use a glass baking dish.
Many flavour combinations will work in a frittata. Chop veggies in sizes that will cook in the same amount of time. Peppers, mushrooms, onions, spinach, broccoli and cheese such as mozzarella, feta, goat cheese or your favourite cheddar cheese.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please take a moment to comment below and give it a star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to join the community and receive regular updates straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest!