A shortbread type cookie that is flavoured with lemon, then drizzled with a delicious lemony icing. They are the perfect cookie to go along with a cup of tea or tall glass of milk.
2 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup softened butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg at room temperature
3 tbsp. lemon zest, divided
1 and 1/4 tsp. vanilla, divided
3 tbsp. granulated sugar (for dipping the glass into and flattening the cookies)
1 cup powdered sugar
4 to 5 tsp. lemon juice
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, and baking soda. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 tablespoon, plus two teaspoons of lemon zest until well blended.
- Using a wooden spoon, or by hand, gradually beat in the flour mixture being careful not to over mix.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls onto parchment paper lined or ungreased cookie sheet, spacing them three inches apart.
- Using a small glass that has been dipped in granulated sugar, flatten the dough until three inches in diameter.
- Bake in 375F oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are just set and the edges are light golden brown.
- Cook on cookie sheet for one minute, then remove immediately to cooling rack. They will brown quickly.
- Cool completely.
- For the icing, combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. of lemon zest and 1/4 tsp. of vanilla. Add more lemon juice or icing sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Place icing in decorator bag and pipe onto the cookies in criss cross patter or you can drizzle the icing with a spoon onto the cookies.
- Cookies will keep at room temperature for up to five days or can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To freeze cookies, place in layers between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight freezer container.
- Category: Dessert, cookies
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Spring, Easter cookies