Juicy blackberries, fresh lemon juice and a luscious lemony glaze highlight this Lemon Blackberry Bread. Made with simple ingredients that you likely have in your pantry, this delicious loaf cake tastes perfect with a cup of tea.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 and 1/2 cups fresh blackberries, cut in half
1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Grease loaf pan or line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and granulated sugar. Mix well to combine.
- Gently stir in blackberries.
- In a small bowl, beat egg, then add in melted butter, lemon juice and orange juice. Stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 50 to 60 minutes until cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
- Turn out baked loaf onto wire rack and cool while prepared the glaze. The glaze is optional and this loaf cake is delicious with or without the glaze.
- For glaze: In a medium bowl, stir together lemon juice, lemon zest, melted butter, vanilla and powdered sugar. You may need to add a bit more juice or powdered sugar, depending on the the thickness. It should be easy to spread.
- Use a knife or spreader to spread the glaze on top of the bread and it may drizzle down the sides as well. Allow the glaze to set 15 minutes before serving.
Storage & Freezing Instructions: Wrap cooled loaf in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and store in freezer for up to two months. Alternatively, you can store the loaf in an airtight container.
The loaf may also be sliced and wrapped in individual pieces. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lemon Blackberry Bread