Brimming with vegetables and full of flavour, this Hearty Vegetable Soup chocked full of goodness! With so many variations, this is the perfect base soup recipe.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Growing up, this soup was a staple in our household. After a full day of winter tobogganing, my mom always had a big pot of soup ready for us.
Homemade soup is just so full of flavour and I love how you can change up the ingredients in this recipe using the base ingredients.
No fancy equipment is needed for this recipe. A large pot and stovetop, a knife for chopping the vegetables and a spoon for stirring the soup.
HOW TO MAKE HEARTY VEGETABLE SOUP
Let me start by saying that this soup is so versatile. Once you get comfortable making this soup from scratch you will be able to throw any vegetables in and experiment with flavours. It is a good base recipe. Leftover rice, yep. Cooked barley? yep. Green beans, yellow beans, yes!
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic and chopped cabbage
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and simmer 5-7 minutes
- Add thyme and basil (you can use fresh or dried)
- Add broth, vine tomatoes, canned tomatoes
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes
- If you are using frozen vegetables (ie; peas, corn, green beans) add them in now and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Add chopped parsley
- Season to taste with additional salt & pepper and top with fresh or grated parmesan cheese
- Serve with this Cheddar & Herb Soda Bread.
You can mix and match so many ingredients in this recipe with terrific results. Here are some of our favourites!
- The addition of 1/2 cup of Ditalini or other small pasta (after you add in the tomatoes) add in texture and heartiness.
- add in 1/2 cup of any of the following vegetables: spinach, green beans, corn, zucchini
- 1 can of kidney beans