The ultimate comfort food, Baked Mac And Cheese With Tomatoes is an easy weeknight meal to make that everyone will love. Topped with a crunchy breadcrumb mixture and sharp cheddar and Gruyere cheese, we hope that this will become your family favourite!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS
- no additional sauce to make on the stovetop. Everything is mixed together in one bowl and baked in the oven!
- a simple weeknight dinner to make that tastes delicious leftover the next day!
- the macaroni to cheese ratio is just right with lots of cheese; both sharp cheddar and Swiss or Gruyere cheese.
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- macaroni pasta. You can also substitute cavatappi or any tube-shaped pasta.
- sharp cheddar cheese and gruyere or Swiss cheese.
- canned, chopped tomates
- granulated sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasoning
- eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & pepper
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
You're going to love how simple this recipe is.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook the elbow macaroni until al dente, drain then set aside. It will continue baking when you put it in the oven, so it's important not to overcook it.
Shred the cheeses and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, drained tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and four cups of shredded cheese (½ the sharp cheddar and ½ the Gruyere cheese).
Stir well to combine, then stir in the pasta. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
Pour macaroni mixture into a greased 12-cup casserole dish. ( I like to use a 13x9-inch baking dish). Top with remaining 2 cups of cheese.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together beaten eggs and milk; then pour over cheese-covered macaroni. (It doesn't have to be perfectly even but try and spread it around as you pour it).
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, shredded Parmesan and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly on top.
Bake in 350°F oven for 45 to 55 minutes.
Store leftover macaroni and cheese covered in the refrigerator for three to five days. Reheat in microwave or in the oven at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Use block cheese instead of the bagged shredded cheese. It will melt better when shredded.
- Cook the pasta until al dente. The pasta will be baking in the oven, so you can undercook it a little.
- Try different shapes of pasta in this recipe. Any tubular pasta will work!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES
I would love it if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the community and receive regular updates straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest!Print
Baked Mac & Cheese with Tomatoes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings
The ultimate comfy food, this baked Mac & Cheese with Tomatoes is loaded with flavour, from fresh herbs to grated cheddar and tomatoes it is sure to become a family fave.
454g/ 16 oz. macaroni pasta
3 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 can (28oz./796mL) chopped tomatoes drained
½ tsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 and ½ cups breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. melted butter
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook macaroni (or desired pasta shape) until al dente. Do not overcook as the pasta will cook in the oven for 45 minutes. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and set aside.
- Meanwhile, shred both cheeses and set aside.
- Combine drained canned tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt & pepper.
- Stir in 4 cups of grated cheese. (half cheddar and half Gruyere)
- Add cooked pasta and stir to mix well. Taste and adjust salt & pepper.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a greased 12-cup casserole dish. Top with 2 cups (more if desired) shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl,whisk together beaten eggs and milk; then pour over cheese-covered macaroni. (It doesn't have to be perfectly even, but try and spread it around as you pour it).
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, shredded Parmesan and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly on top.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm.
- Add a few slices of fresh tomatoes on top of the breadcrumbs before baking. Fresh tomatoes taste delicious baked in the oven!
- Cheese variations: use your favourite cheddar. Although sharp cheddar is recommended in this recipe, you can also use milk or medium. Monterey Jack cheese will also taste great in this recipe.
- STORAGE: Store leftover Macaroni and Cheese covered in the refrigerator for three to five days. Reheat in microwave or in the oven at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop, oven baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 427
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 458.5 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.6 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 18.8 g
- Cholesterol: 84.2 mg
Keywords: Baked Macaroni And Cheese With Tomatoes
So quick and easy without having to make the cheese sauce separately! Lots of cheesy goodness and the crunchy breadcrumb topping is delicious!
This looks amazing! Quick question: is the breadcrumb topping required or can I skip that part?
Can't wait to make this 🙂
You can absolutely skip that part! Hope you enjoy it!
5 stars. Loved it ! Reminds me of my childhood with the tomatoes.
I made the other half with a roux base since someone doesnt like tomatoes ....
Tasty tasty ..thank you
Thanks Connie!! So glad that you enjoyed it! 🙂 Sandra
Such great cheesy comfort food we loved it. The only problem is it goes so fast we never have yummy leftovers!!