The ultimate comfort food, Baked Mac And Cheese With Tomatoes is an easy weeknight meal to make that everyone will love. Topped with a crunchy breadcrumb mixture and sharp cheddar and Gruyere cheese, we hope that this will become your family favourite!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS
- no additional sauce to make on the stovetop. Everything is mixed together in one bowl and baked in the oven!
- a simple weeknight dinner to make that tastes delicious leftover the next day!
- the macaroni to cheese ratio is just right with lots of cheese; both sharp cheddar and Swiss or Gruyere cheese.
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- macaroni pasta. You can also substitute cavatappi or any tube-shaped pasta.
- sharp cheddar cheese and gruyere or Swiss cheese.
- canned, chopped tomates
- granulated sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Italian seasoning
- eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & pepper
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
You're going to love how simple this recipe is.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook the elbow macaroni until al dente, drain then set aside. It will continue baking when you put it in the oven, so it's important not to overcook it.
Shred the cheeses and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, drained tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and four cups of shredded cheese (½ the sharp cheddar and ½ the Gruyere cheese).
Stir well to combine, then stir in the pasta. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
Pour macaroni mixture into a greased 12-cup casserole dish. ( I like to use a 13x9-inch baking dish). Top with remaining 2 cups of cheese.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together beaten eggs and milk; then pour over cheese-covered macaroni. (It doesn't have to be perfectly even but try and spread it around as you pour it).
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, shredded Parmesan and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly on top.
Bake in 350°F oven for 45 to 55 minutes.
Store leftover macaroni and cheese covered in the refrigerator for three to five days. Reheat in microwave or in the oven at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Use block cheese instead of the bagged shredded cheese. It will melt better when shredded.
- Cook the pasta until al dente. The pasta will be baking in the oven, so you can undercook it a little.
- Try different shapes of pasta in this recipe. Any tubular pasta will work!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page. Don't forget to tag me when you make one of my recipes! Subscribe to join the community and receive regular updates straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest!Print