These Almond Joy Macaroons are easy to make and will look beautiful on your holiday table - or any time of year! A chocolate-covered almond tucked in the middle is a delightful surprise. Quick & easy - you'll love these!
This recipe combines my favourite chocolate-covered almonds and Almond Joy chocolate bars into one bite. They are SO tasty!!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites, almond extract and sugar.
- Add in the flour and coconut.
- It will be quite moist. Let the mixture stand until the liquid is absorbed - about 7 minutes.
6. The mixture will be quite sticky. Using a heaping tablespoon of the coconut mixture, carefully shape it over the chocolate-covered almond. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Use a spoon or your fingers to shape the cookies into a round shape. The almond should be completely covered in the coconut mixture.
7. Bake in 300°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. The tops will start to brown like the photo below.
8. Remove from oven and let cool on wire cooling racks.
You can see in the above photo that the chocolate covered almond is barely visible in the cookie.
9. Melt ½ cup of dark chocolate in small heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat.
10. Use a teaspoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the macaroon in a zigzag pattern.
11. Top with sliced almonds.
12. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to allow chocolate to cool and set.
13. Top with sliced almonds.
14. Store in covered container for up to one week. To freeze, place between layers of waxed paper in airtight container for up to 1 month.