These soft but chewy Coconut Macaroons with Almond Joy Variation, are so quick and easy to make. The fun surprise is a chocolate covered almond in the middle that is a holiday favorite snack.
This makes for a delicious Almond Joy coconut macaroon thats looks and tastes amazing on your holiday table. Coconut lovers will love these macaroons all year long!!
Easy coconut macaroons
This easy coconut macaroon recipe can be made with or without the delicious Almond Joy cookie variation and is another must try Christmas cookie.
Chewy bursts of coconut in every bite, combined with a layer of chocolate and so moist in the middle. This makes the best coconut macaroons recipe.
Macaroons chocolate coconut is one of the best coconut recipes that we always have on our Christmas cookie platter and for holiday cookie exchanges.
Such an easy recipe to enjoy anytime and my family often makes them to use in holiday trifle recipes as an amazing bottom coconut layer. So good!
What is the difference between macarons and a coconut macaroon?
Macarons and macaroons cookies are believed to be from Italy. They have similar names and ingredients that can often get confused for one another
Macarons are usually made in multiple colors with a fine ground almond flour, that are sandwiched together with jam, ganache or buttercream in the middle. They are sometimes called French Macaroons.
Macaroons are made with unsweetened coconut with or without chocolate and are more of a soft coconut cookie recipe.
- Easy coconut macaroons
- What is the difference between macarons and a coconut macaroon?
- Why you'll love these chocolate coconut macaroons with coconut
- Coconut macaroons ingredients
- Substitutions for Christmas macaroons coconut
- Step by step instructions for how to make this easy coconut macaroons recipe
- Variations for chewy macaroons cookie recipe
- Top tips for making the best coconut macaroons recipe easy
- Why are are my coconut macaroons hard?
- Storage and freezing instructions for coconut macaroons recipes
- You may also enjoy these cookie recipe
- Coconut Macaroons With Almond Joy Variation
This recipe for coconut macaroons optionally combines my favourite chocolate-covered almonds and Almond Joy chocolate bars into one bite. They are just SO tasty!!
Why you'll love these chocolate coconut macaroons with coconut
- Easy soft coconut macaroon recipe
- So easy to customize macaroons coconut your way
- Perfect for holiday cookie exchanges and gift giving
- Must have holiday Christmas coconut cookie for many families
Coconut macaroons ingredients
- Egg whites
- Granulated sugar
- Almond extract
- Unsweetened desiccated medium coconut
- All-purpose flour
- Chocolate-covered almonds (optional)
- Dark chocolate, melted
- Almonds for garnish - optional
Substitutions for Christmas macaroons coconut
Substitute the dark chocolate with milk chocolate if you prefer.
You can also use sweetened shredded coconut and use less sugar in this macaroons recipe. You would have to adjust the amount of sugar to suit your preferences.
Step by step instructions for how to make this easy coconut macaroons recipe
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites, almond extract and sugar.
- Add in the flour and coconut.
- It will be quite moist. Let the mixture stand until the liquid is absorbed - about 7 minutes.
6. The mixture will be quite sticky. Using a heaping tablespoon of the coconut mixture, carefully shape it over the chocolate-covered almond. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Use a spoon or your fingers to shape the cookies into a round shape. The almond should be completely covered in the coconut mixture.
7. Bake in 300°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. The tops will start to brown like the photo below.
8. Remove from oven and let cool on wire cooling racks.
You can see in the above photo that the chocolate covered almond is barely visible in the cookie.
9. Melt ½ cup of dark chocolate in small heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat.
10. Use a teaspoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over the macaroon in a zigzag pattern.
11. Top with sliced almonds.
12. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to allow chocolate to cool and set.
13. Top with sliced almonds.
Variations for chewy macaroons cookie recipe
Optional coconut macaroons Almond Joy cookie is our best variation and we often like to make half with the Almonds and half without them for a perfect holiday mix. See recipe instructions above.
Instead of drizzling the chocolate on top you could also dip the top in chocolate.
Coconut flour macaroons can be made for a keto version as well.
Coconut macaroons with condensed milk is another popular macaroon recipe. Make sure you use sweetened condensed milk and not evaporated milk for this recipe.
Top tips for making the best coconut macaroons recipe easy
- Using high quality ingredients will make a big difference in the taste of these coconut cookies
- Measure the flour using the scoop and level off method
- Line the baking sheets with parchment paper to help prevent over-browning
- Do not over bake know your oven, bake only until the top is slightly golden brown
- When adding in the flour and coconut to the wet mixture allow to sit for 7 minutes until the liquid is absorbed so they do not get flat
Why are are my coconut macaroons hard?
I used desiccated coconut in this recipe which can absorb moisture possibly making the macaroon mixture dry causing them to come out hard.
I have never had that problem with this coconut recipe but if you do you can switch to shredded coconut which will not absorb as much moisture.
Storage and freezing instructions for coconut macaroons recipes
Do you have to refrigerate coconut macaroons?
No you do not, macaroons can be stored in a airtight container for 5 days at room temperature using parchment paper to separate the chocolate coconut layers.
Can you freeze coconut macaroons?
Yes you can, freeze in a freezer-safe container with parchment paper in between any layers for 2 to 3 months.
Thaw at room temperature before serving.
You may also enjoy these cookie recipe
No Bake Best Peanut Butter Balls
Coconut Magic Bars
Cowboy Christmas Cookies with Coconut
Best Soft Ricotta Cookies for Christmas
Chocolate Nanaimo Bars
Maraschino Cherry Thumbprint ChristmasPrint