A soft crust swirled in a brown sugar filling with pecans, raisins and cinnamon is delicious with a pat of butter and perfect for French toast!
3 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, cut into small cubes
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg quick-rising instant yeast (equal to 1 tbsp.)
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup chopped raisins
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 butter, softened at room temperature
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. milk
1 tbsp. powdered sugar (to sprinkle on top)
1. In a stand mixer, using bread attachment, mix the all-purpose flour, sugar, butter salt and yeast for 1 minute on low speed.
2. In a small saucepan, heat milk until it is hot, but not boiling. Remove from heat when it reaches 125F.
3. Turn on mixer to low speed and alternately add in the eggs and the milk. Knead for one minute. The dough will form into a ball.
4. Place the dough in a greased medium-sized mixing bowl, turning to grease all over.
5. Cover with a clean cloth and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
6. In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, chopped pecans, raisins and cinnamon. Set aside.
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 12- x 9-inch rectangle.
8. Using a pastry brush, spread with butter, leaving a 1/2-inch area around the rectangle.
9. Sprinkle the filling evenly over the butter. Pat it down very gently.
10. Starting on the long side, roll up dough jelly roll-style. Pinch ends together to seal.
11. Place on a parchment paper-lined or greased baking sheet. (You may also use a silicone baking mat)
12. Cover with a clean cloth and allow to rise for 1 hour. The dough should be close to doubled in size.
13. Beat egg yolk with milk and brush over loaf.
14. Bake in 375F oven for 15 minutes, then cover with foil.
15. Bake for another 20 minutes. (Bottom of loaf should sound hollow when tapped)
16. Cool on rack for 10 minutes, then lightly dust with icing sugar.
Makes 1 loaf.
Store cooled loaf in plastic wrap for up to three days.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap to store at room temperature for up to three days.
- This bread can be frozen for up to 1 month by wrapping cooled bread in plastic wrap, then foil and placing in the freezer.
- Recipe adapted from Canadian Living.
- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 15.2 g
- Sodium: 225.3 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.9 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 8.3 g
- Cholesterol: 52.5 mg
Keywords: Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread Recipe