These Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars have a delicious peppermint flavour and the same popularity as traditional Nanaimo bars. A perfect addition to any Christmas baking tray!
What Is A Nanaimo Bar?
A Nanaimo bar is a sweet dessert bar that originates from the city of Nanaimo in British Columbia, Canada. It is a layered bar cookie that typically consists of a wafer crumb base, a custard or buttercream filling, and a chocolate icing on top. Cut into bars for serving, they are a delicious dessert to enjoy any time of year.
Why I love this Recipe
Chocolate peppermint lovers will be coming back for more when they get a taste of this delicious bar recipe.
When I saw that Chipits had new mint chocolate chips in the grocery store right in time for Christmas baking, I quickly scooped up a bag. (You will need two for the recipe).
I had Chocolate Peppermint Brownies in mind, but couldn't resist the recipe on the back of the package for these delicious Chocolate Mint Nanaimo bars.
They are so simple to make and have basic ingredients.
If you love bars and squares, you might also enjoy my Pecan Butter Tart Squares and these Magic Bars with Cranberries.
- Chipits Mint Chocolate Chips
- graham crumbs
- powdered sugar
- custard powder
- peppermint extract
- green food coloring
- vegetable oil
Step by Step Instructions
For Base: Melt 1 cup of Chips Mint Chocolate Chips with ½ cup butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
Stir in graham crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Stir well to combine, then spread evenly and press into bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish.
Chill for 30 minutes. The chill time between each layer is very important. Do not skip this step!
For middle layer: Combine powdered sugar with ⅓ cup butter, milk, custard powder, peppermint extract and a few drops of green food colouring.
Spread evenly over chocolate base. Return to refrigerator while you are preparing the glaze.Ensure that the middle layer is completely chilled before adding the top chocolate layer for nice even layers when you cut into the bar.
For Glaze: Melt remaining ¾ cup of Mint Chocolate Chips with vegetable oil in a bowl set over a pot with simmering water, or melt over low heat in microwave.
Spread evenly over filling. Chill until completely set. Cut into bars and enjoy!
Allow the layers to cool completely before adding the next layer on top.
The longer the bars sit in the fridge, the easier they will be to cut into a nice tiday square.
You Might Also Enjoy These Recipes
Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 20
These Chocolate Mint Nanaimo bars have a delicious peppermint flavour and the same popularity as traditional Nanaimo bars. A perfect addition to any Christmas baking tray!
1 cup Chipits Mint Chocolate Chips
½ cup butter
1 and ¼ cups graham crumbs
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup butter
3 Tablespoons milk
2 Tablespoon custard powder
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Few drops of green food colouring
¾ cup Chipiits Mint Chocolate Chips
2 tsp. vegetable oil
- For Base: Melt 1 cup Chipits Mint Chocolate Chips with ½ cup butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in graham wafer crumbs, flaked coconut and chopped walnuts.
- Press into a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- For Filling: Combine powdered sugar with ¼ cup butter, milk, custard powder, peppermint extract and a few drops of green food colouring.
- Spread evenly over base.
- For Glaze: Melt remaining ¾ cup Chips Mint Chocolate Chips with vegetable oil in a bowl set over pot with simmering water.
- Spread evenly over filling.
- Chill until completely set.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into bars.
- To melt chocolate chips, microwave cup of chips on medium for 2 minutes. check at 15 second intervals. Remove and stir until melted.
- Storage instructions: Place nanaimo bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Freezing instructions: Nanaimo bars may be frozen in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw c0mpletely in refrigerator before serving.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 helping
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 23.1 g
- Sodium: 35.3 mg
- Fat: 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.5 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 20.3 mg
Keywords: Chocolate Mint Nanaimo bars
Recipe adapted from Chipits Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars.
No l. didn’t. Make this recipe ! I just saw this wed. Morning. , looks. Very good N. Delicious
A really nice twist to a classic nanaimo bar, a must try for any mint lovers!