These Chocolate Mint Nanaimo Bars have a delicious peppermint flavour and the same popularity as traditional Nanaimo bars.
A perfect minty addition to any Christmas baking tray!
What Is A Nanaimo Bar?
A Nanaimo bar is a no bake Canadian classic sweet dessert bar, that originates from the city of Nanaimo in British Columbia, Canada.
It is a layered bar cookie that typically consists of a textured wafer crumb base, a custard or buttercream filling, and a chocolate icing on top.
A Canadian favorite delicious dessert to enjoy any time of year, they are cut into bars for serving.
Chocolate peppermint lovers will be coming back for more when they get a taste of this delicious bar recipe.
When I saw that Chipits had new mint chocolate chips in the grocery store right in time for Christmas baking, I quickly scooped up a bag. (You will need two for the recipe).
I had Chocolate Peppermint Brownies in mind, but couldn't resist the recipe on the back of the package for these delicious Chocolate Mint Nanaimo bars.
Why you'll love this recipe
- So easy to make this tasty recipe
- Versatile recipe able to use many different flavors and ingredients
- Minty flavor contrasts so well with the richness of the chocolate topping and sweetness of the base layer
- Great minty addition to holiday dessert platters for bar lovers
- Chipits Mint Chocolate Chips
- Graham crumbs
- Flaked or shredded coconut
- Powdered sugar
- Custard powder
- Peppermint extract
- Green food coloring
- Vegetable oil
Step by step instructions for Nanaimo bars
For Base: Melt 1 cup of Chips Mint Chocolate Chips with ½ cup butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
Stir in graham crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Stir well to combine, then spread evenly and press into bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish.
Chill for 30 minutes. The chill time between each layer is very important. Do not skip this step!
For middle layer: Combine powdered sugar with ⅓ cup butter, milk, custard powder, peppermint extract and a few drops of green food colouring.
Spread evenly over chocolate base. Return to refrigerator while you are preparing the glaze.Ensure that the middle layer is completely chilled before adding the top chocolate layer for nice even layers when you cut into the bar.
For Glaze: Melt remaining ¾ cup of Mint Chocolate Chips with vegetable oil in a bowl set over a pot with simmering water, or melt over low heat in microwave.
Spread evenly over filling. Chill until completely set. Cut into bars and enjoy!
Variations for mint Nanaimo bars
You can make the the delicious classic traditional Nanaimo bars with a custard buttercream filling as well.
Top tips for the best mint Nanaimo bars
- You can line the baking dish with parchment paper leaving an overhang on the sides to make it easier to remove for cutting once it is set
- Always use butter at room temperature for a smooth and even texture
- Use more or less peppermint extract according to tastes
- Allow the layers to cool completely before adding the the next layer on top
- The longer the bars sit in the fridge, the easier you can cut it into a nice tidy square
Storage and freezing for minty bars
Store in an airtight container for 3 days or in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Freeze wrapped in heavy duty ziplock freezer bags or a freezer-safe container for 2 - 3 months.
Thaw completely overnight in the fridge before serving.
You might also enjoy these recipes
If you love bars and squares, you might also enjoy: