This soda bread has no yeast and is ready in under an hour! Add your favourite herbs and cheese with great results.
Spring has sprung!
Today is May 8th. It snowed. Yes, snow. I looked out the kitchen window as I waited for my second cup of coffee.
We have had some beautiful warm sunny days and at first I thought 'meh' but then, I stepped outside. It was magical. I have been so excited about the thought of getting started on a kitchen garden - 'my little potager' as I call it. The snow didn't last long and it turned out to be a beautiful sunny day.
Our property has a bush and we have really enjoyed the discovery of spring wildflowers that are making an appearance. I always carry my phone with me so that I can capture anything interesting that I see.
The dogs are absolutely crazy about our new property. Dallas, our German shepherd prances and Zoe, our yellow lab has a perma-smile on her face.
How to make Cheddar & Herb Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 425F
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt then add in cheese and herbs
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture stirring until well combined being careful not to over mix
- On a floured surface, place the dough in the flour and cover all sides, turning over until all areas are covered in the flour
- Shape into a round loaf and slice an 'X' in the top with a sharp knife about ¼" deep
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Sprinkle top with additional cheddar and herbs if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cook on middle rack in the oven to avoid over-browning.
- Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
- Cool 10 minutes before slicing.
This bread is delicious served with Hearty Vegetable Soup!
You may also want to try different cheeses in this bread. I would recommend asiago or gruyere as a substitute.
The herbs can be switched up fresh for dried.