These Carrot Cake Whoopie pies feature a soft, lightly-spiced cookie sandwiched with a luscious cream cheese icing.
My mom gave me this recipe that she had clipped from a magazine from 2013 and hadn't tried the recipe yet. These looked SO delicious that I had to give these Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies a try. They ARE delicious! Thanks MOM!
Why you will love these cookies
- This is an easy recipe that doesn't require any fancy equipment.
- The cookies can be made ahead and store in the refrigerator for a few days before the filling is added.
- Recipe requires basic pantry staples plus cream cheese.
How to make these cookies
1. Peel and grate carrots.
2. In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
3. Add in two eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
4. In a separate large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Stir to combine thoroughly.
5. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, 1 cup at a time beating on low after each addition.
6. Add in carrots, rolled oats, dates and orange rind. Mix well. Dough will be sticky.
7. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
8. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons, two inches apart on baking sheets.
9. Bake in 350F oven, one sheet at a time for 16 to 18 minutes until cookies are lightly browned on the bottom.
10. Let cool completely on wire racks. While cookies are cooling, prepare icing.
11. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, or stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter, cream cheese and icing sugar on high for 1 minute.
12. Use 1 and ½ tbsp. of icing to ice the bottom half of the cookies.
13. Sandwich iced cookies with un-iced cookie tops. Press down very lightly.
Cookies may be stored in refrigerator for up to five days.