These buttery, slightly crunchy cookies are reminiscent of the Dutch Butter Cookies that we had in the blue tins as children growing up. Often topped with sugar, there are many ways that you can enjoy them - sprinkled with sugar or dipped in chocolate.
1 cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. granulated sugar (optional to sprinkle on cookies before baking)
1. In a large mixing bowl, or bowl from stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed for 2 minutes.
2. Add in salt and vanilla extract and beat at medium speed until combined.
3. Add in egg and beat until combined.
4. Gradually add in all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time until combined.
5. Using Wilton 1M piping tip, spoon 1/3 of the dough into a decorator bag (I love the disposable ones)!
6. Starting in the middle, pipe into a circle. (see photo below) on either a parchment-paper lined, silicone mat lined or uncreased baking sheet.
I like to go counter-clockwise, but I am left-handed. You might prefer to go the opposite way. Once you are done your circle, you may need to gently release it from the end of the tip and tuck it into the side of the circle.
7. Bake in 350F oven for 15 minutes. The edges should be very lightly browned.
Makes 30 cookies.
Store cookies in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week. If dipping in chocolate, storing the chocolate-covered Butter Cookies in the refrigerator is recommended. Let them come to room temperature before serving.
Chocolate-Dipped Butter Cookies with Sprinkles
Depending on how many cookies that you want to dip into the chocolate. Melt 4 to 6 one ounce squares of semisweet chocolate (or white chocolate) in the top of a double-boiler or over low heat directly on the stove element being careful not to scorch the chocolate.
Dip one-half of the cooled cookies into the chocolate and immediately top with sprinkles if using.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 102
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 22.8 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 22.5 mg
Keywords: Butter Cookies, Dutch Butter Cookies