This coffee cake is bursting with blueberry-raspberry flavour and a taste of cream cheese in every bite! Moist and irresistible with a crunchy crumb topping.
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 and a 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
Cream Cheese Layer
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup melted butter
1. In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until well combined.
2. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating for 45 seconds after each addition.
3. Blend in vanilla.
4. In a separate small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture, alternating with adding in the sour cream.
(Alternating means, add 1/3 flour mixture, 1/2 sour cream, 1/3 flour mixture, 1/2 sour cream, 1/3 flour mixture)
6. Spread into a greased, 9-inch springform pan.
7. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of raspberries over top of cake layer.
Cream Cheese Layer
1. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar until light and fluffy (about one minute).
2. Beat in egg and lemon rind until smooth (about 30 seconds).
3. Spread cream cheese layer over the blueberry/raspberry cake layer.
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, granulated and brown sugars and cinnamon.
2. Add in melted butter.
3. Mix until combined. (I like to mix it by hand to get an even topping or you can use a pastry blender)
4. Add remaining blueberries and raspberries, followed by an even coating of the crumb topping.
5. Bake in 350F oven. for 1 hour and 10 minutes; checking for doneness at the 1 hour mark by inserting cake tester in centre.
6. Let cool 15 minutes before loosening the sides of the springform pan.
7. May be served warm or cool and is delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop or whipped cream.
- butter & eggs should be at room temperature. Remove them from the refrigerator 30-60 minutes before you start the recipe.
- sour cream - I used light sour cream in this recipe. You may also use full fat sour cream, plain yogurt or Greek Yogurt.
- cream cheese - light or plain cream cheese may be used.
- raspberries & blueberries - fresh fruit in season is best in this recipe, or you can use frozen fruit. Add it to the cake frozen. Toss the blueberries in approximately 1 tbsp. of flour to stop them from turning the batter purple.
- Storage & Freezing Instructions:Store cake in a covered container or covered in plastic wrap on a cake plate at room temperature for up to three days.
- To freeze, wrap cake in plastic wrap, then foil or in a freezer-safe plastic container. Freeze up to two months.
- A 9-inch springform pan is recommended or you may substitute an 8-inch baking dish.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 454
- Sugar: 28 g
- Sodium: 173.4 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 7.6 g
- Cholesterol: 97.4 mg
Keywords: Coffee Cake, Breakfast Snack, Cream Cheese Coffee Cake