Enjoy the flavour of summer, or use frozen fruit any time of year with this delightful Blueberry-Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake. It's moist and has a lovely texture. Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea!
Do you love baking in the summer time when all of the beautiful fresh fruit is in season? I recently made a batch of Peach Cobbler Muffins. They are so delicious!
YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE!
- it's filled with raspberries and blueberries or you can use your favourite fruit of the season! Breakfast snacking cake anyone?
- an easy recipe to make with basic ingredients.
- moist and so flavourful. The sour cream adds moisture and the cream cheese layer with the crumb topping makes every bite so delicious!
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS NOTES
- butter & eggs should be at room temperature. Remove them from the refrigerator 30-60 minutes before you start the recipe.
- sour cream - I used light sour cream in this recipe. You may also use full fat sour cream, plain yogurt or Greek Yogurt.
- cream cheese - light or plain cream cheese may be used.
- raspberries & blueberries - fresh fruit in season is best in this recipe, or you can use frozen fruit. Add it to the cake frozen. Toss the blueberries in approximately 1 tbsp. of flour to stop them from turning the batter purple.
This cake has three easy parts. The cake, the cream cheese filling and the topping.
I recommend using a stand mixer or electric mixer for this recipe.
Grease a 9-inch springform pan & preheat oven to 350°F.
Start by beating the butter with sugar, then adding in the eggs. Beat the eggs in 1 at a time. The eggs are beaten for 45 seconds after each one is added. They provide structure to the cake. Add in the vanilla and stir on low speed just until combined.
In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixer, alternating with adding in the sour cream.
(Alternating means, add ⅓ flour mixture, ½ sour cream, ⅓ flour mixture, ½ sour cream, ⅓ flour mixture)
Spread the batter into a greased, 9-inch springform pan.
Sprinkle ½ cup of blueberries and ½ cup of raspberries over top of cake layer.
Cream Cheese Layer
In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar until light and fluffy (about one minute). Next, add in the egg and lemon rind and beat for 30 seconds.
Spread cream cheese layer over the cake layer.
Mix the topping with clean hands or use a pastry blender.
Combine flour, granulated and brown sugars and cinnamon, then add in the melted butter.
Finishing up the cake
Add remaining blueberries and raspberries, followed by an even coating of the crumb topping. Sprinkle it on top loosely.
Bake in 350°F oven. for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Use a toothpick or cake tester and check it after one hour.
Move to a wire rack and let the cake cool for 15 minutes. Carefully, loosen the sides of the springform pan.
How to serve this cake
This cake is delicious served warm, or at room temperature. For a special treat add a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
STORAGE AND FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS
Store cake in a covered container or covered in plastic wrap on a cake plate at room temperature for up to three days.
To freeze, wrap cake in plastic wrap, then foil or in a freezer-safe plastic container. Freeze up to two months.
This recipe was adapted from an old Canadian Living Magazine.