Creamy and cheesy this cauliflower soup is super easy to make and is absolutely delicious! Basic ingredients make this a simple family soup recipe for a busy day.
A lot of us associate soup with the cold weather and while hot soup on a cold day is definitely a pick-me-up, I enjoy soup year-round. Do you?
There are a few extra steps involved in making homemade soup from scratch and they are so worth it!
This soup makes a smaller batch serving around six people. You can easily double this recipe by hitting the scaling option on the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
If you're looking for something delicious to accompany this soup, try out this Cheddar & Herb Soda Bread recipe. It comes together very quickly too!
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
Butter - I recommend using butter and not margarine for this recipe for optimal flavour.
Onion - you can use sweet onion or yellow cooking onions. I used Vidalia onions, one of my personal faves.
Cauliflower - look for firm cauliflower with no sign of any discolouration.
Chicken Stock - if you have homemade stock, use that or use any of the commercial varieties of canned or packaged chicken stock.
Cheddar Cheese - I prefer to use old cheddar for its stronger flavour but you can easily substitute a mild or medium cheddar to suit your taste.
Light Cream - This recipe has ¼ cup of cream. I used an 18% table cream, however it could easily be lightened up by substituting milk without compromising the flavour.
How to make this delicious soup
1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt 3 tbsp. of butter over medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until onion has softened.
3. Add 1 tbsp. butter and chopped cauliflower and cook over medium heat, stirring often for 10 minutes.
4. Add 5 cups of chicken stock and gradually bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and cook over low-medium heat for 20 minutes. (cauliflower should be very tender)
6. Carefully transfer soup mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
7. Transfer soup mixture back to the cooking pot and heat soup over low-medium heat.
8. Gradually add in cream in a slow, steady stream stirring constantly.
9. Add in grated cheddar, ½ cup at a time, scattering to cover all areas. (Do not just drop it into one area).
10. Continue to stir for another 2 minutes.
11. Soup is best served hot and topped with a few croutons and shredded cheese.