You're going to love this easy recipe for Baked BBQ Chicken Tenders! Boneless, skinless chicken breast, breaded and baked, then smothered in delicious apple butter barbecue sauce.
YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE!
- if you love chicken wings, then you'll love this boneless, skinless alternative and I promise you won't know the difference!!
- simple ingredients and no fancy equipment
- quick and easy to make. You can pair this with some veggies on the side for an easy weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
- goes well with so many sides like my Boursin Mashed Potatoes, Air Fryer Tater Tots, Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes or on their own as an appetizer.
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
A few notes about the ingredients. (see full recipe card at the bottom of the page for all ingredients)
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- breadcrumbs - you can use plain or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. Any type may be used including Panko.
- bbq sauce - use your favourite brand.
- apple butter - I love the combination of the apple butter mixed with the bbq sauce. You can also omit the apple butter and use only bbq sauce!
- parmesan cheese - You can use freshly grated or the stuff you can buy in the shaker for this recipe.
You can find a full printable recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
You can cook the chicken tenders directly on a baking sheet that is lightly greased with olive oil or use a cooking rack as shown in the photos before. Ensure that it is oven-proof!
Prepare the coating
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine.
Place all-purpose flour in a separate small bowl.
In a large mixing bowl, combine apple butter and barbecue sauce.
Dip the chicken strips
Working with one strip at a time, place chicken strip in flour and coat completely. You can use tongs or toss with clean hands.
Next, dip the floured chicken into the egg wash followed by the parmesan and breadcrumb mixture, tossing to coat well.
Place on cooking rack or directly on baking sheet and cook in 425°F for 15 minutes, turning over once halfway through cooking time.
Remove from oven and place in large bowl. Pour barbecue sauce mixture over top and toss gently to coat.
Place chicken tenders back onto the baking sheet and brush with remaining barbecue sauce.
Cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes until sauce has thickened a little and chicken is completely cooked and no longer pink inside. Top with fresh parsley for garnish and enjoy!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES
I would love it if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the community and receive regular updates straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest!Print
Baked BBQ Chicken Tenders
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
You're going to love this easy recipe for Baked BBQ Chicken Tenders! Boneless, skinless chicken breast are breaded and baked, then smothered in delicious apple butter barbecue sauce.
4 (approximately 2 lbs.)boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into strips
1 and ½ cups breadcrumbs
½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup apple butter
Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place a baking rack in the bottom of a baking sheet or lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil. This will stop the chicken from sticking.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together apple butter and barbecue sauce.
- Place all-purpose flour in a small bowl.
- Working with one strip at a time, place chicken strip in flour and coat completely. You can do this by hand or use a spoon to toss the flour onto the chicken.
- Next, dip the floured chicken into the egg wash followed by the parmesan breadcrumb mixture.
- Place on baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, turning over once halfway through.
- Transfer the chicken strips to a large bowl. Pour over the barbecue sauce mixture.
- Gently toss the chicken strips in the sauce until they are completely coated with sauce.
- Transfer chicken back to baking sheet and brush with remaining sauce.
- Cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes. (sauce will thicken on the chicken).
- Remove from oven and check to ensure that chicken is completely cooked and no longer pink inside.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- Storage - store leftover chicken tenders in a covered container in refrigerator for up to two days.
- If you don't have apple butter, you can substitute it for additional barbecue sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinnner
- Method: Oven baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving (approximately 5 to 6 chicken tenders)
- Calories: 581
- Sugar: 36.9 g
- Sodium: 770.8 mg
- Fat: 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 78.3 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 44.3 g
- Cholesterol: 146.1 mg
Keywords: chicken tenders, easy dinner recipe
Just made this with homemade apple butter. Mixed half regular bbq sauce with homemade apricot bbq sauce. The breading was perfect and the sauce had just the right amount of zing. Definitely a keeper.
You had some lovely homemade sauces to add to this recipe that sound delicious! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for taking the time to comment 🙂 Sandra
These are delicious and so easy to make. Love that they are baked!